Springtime always has a way of instilling a sense of awe for this beautiful planet, as well as a sense of gratitude for places like Squaw Valley. Here at Resort at Squaw Creek, we have some special events planned for Earth Day this April, and also want to remind our guests of our everyday practices and programs that pay respect to, and lessen our footprint on, our changing environment.
We are proud to have created a "Destination Earth" taskforce, comprised of leaders throughout the organization and representing hotel and resort operations, to ensure that all departments and associates of Destination Hotels & Resorts are personally involved and committed to the program. We have already put in place the following initiatives which each of our properties have made a commitment to pursuing:
- Establishment of a property specific "green team" at Resort at Squaw Creek to adopt and implement earth-friendly practices at our resort and to become better stewards of the natural resources we utilize. Finally, to monitor effectiveness of these practices.
- Sourcing environmentally sensitive products and services locally, and purchasing organic, environmentally friendly/responsible and recycled supplies, whenever possible.
- Purchasing fresh and sustainable foods regionally grown, whenever possible.
- Creating partnerships with other organizations that have demonstrated a commitment to preserving the environment.
- Leading our associates to apply eco-friendly practices in their daily operations.
- Utilizing environmentally-responsible building materials and strategies for new properties and renovations to reduce environmental impact.
- Retrofitting Resort at Squaw Creek with energy efficient lighting, heating and cooling systems, as well as water-saving devices.
- Implementing tools that allow us to continually measure the progress of our individual properties and support their commitment to preserving the environment through the Destination Earth program.
Earth Day 2013
Resort at Squaw Creek will celebrate Earth Day with some awareness raising programs and specials for our guests. Thank you for helping us go green!
- We will encourage guests to switch off lights and appliances when not in use.
- We will offer rental bikes and encourage guests to forgo driving and utilize the extensive bike trail system here in Squaw Valley and the Tahoe area.
- We will keep our lobby lights off on April 22.
- Sandy’s Pub will offer a special “Green Gimlet,” made with organic ingredients, including certified organic Farmer’s Gin.