During your next Squaw Valley vacation, learn the art of fly fishing at Resort at Squaw Creek's Fly Fishing Center.
From fly casting and fly tying to guided trips and custom classes, our Federation of Fly Fishers Certified Casting Instructor, Matthew Heron, offers a variety of classes to teach you all about this ancient angling method.
Resort at Squaw Creek Fly Fishing Classes
- Cast N' Catch (3 hrs) This is by far Matt's most popular class offering the best of both worlds, casting instruction and fishing. Class begins with a private hour and a half casting lesson, which leads into an hour and a half of guided fishing on the private ponds. After your three hours, you'll understand why this is the #1 choice of all students!
- Beginners Fly Casting 101 (1.5 hrs) - Learn the fine art of fly casting with the resort's certified fly fishing instructor and guide. Everyone from beginners to experts is welcome.
- Introduction to Fly Fishing 101 (3 hrs) - A great class for anyone interested in wanting to learn about this exciting sport. This course covers everything from A-Z in the world of fly fishing, but does not include time on the water.
- The Sundowner (4 hrs) - This program covers all the subjects of the Introduction to Fly Fishing 101 course, along with guided evening fishing on the Resort at Squaw Creek's private, stocked ponds.
- Fish On (1.5 hrs) - Recommended for people with some previous casting experience, this course offers a guided trip on our stocked ponds with the resort's fly fishing specialist.
- Fly Tying 101 (2 hrs) - A great class for those with little or no tying experience, Tying 101 will teach you the basics of fly tying. Equipment is provided.
- Advanced Fly Tying (2 hrs) - Offered to anyone with previous fly tying experience who wants to learn a few more tricks, this class sets the challenge level of each fly based on the goals of the students.
- Aquatic Macro Invertebrate Sampling (1- 1.5 hrs) - This hands-on class is great for families and those of you who have ever wondered, "what do fish eat?" During this course you will be taken below the water's surface to learn about the world of aquatic insects.
- Guided Fishing Trips (full day and half-day) - Join our fly fishing guide on the Truckee River and various other streams in California's Tahoe area.
- Custom Classes - At the discretion of the instructor, some private, custom, group and corporate classes may be available upon request.
Program Highlights Include...
- A wide variety of daily classes to fit anyone's ability and schedule.
- Two private, stocked ponds full of beautiful rainbow trout with some fish measuring by the pound, not inch.
- The best gear in the business, such as, Sage, Scientific Anglers, Simms, Buff, Rising and Umpqua to name a few.
- The Fly Fishing Discovery Center, Tahoe's only fly fishing education facility.
- All classes with power points include, colored note sheets and copies of the presentations.
- Full and half day guided trips, along with private water options.
- One of the most amazing outdoor classroom settings in the world. The Fly Fishing Discovery Center and ponds have 360 degree views of Squaw Valley, home of the 1960 Winter Olympics.
- Creek Creatures, a one of a kind, hands on children's learning experience custom tailored by the parents.
- International hosted travel to salt water destinations all over the world.
- North lake Tahoe's only selection of loaner and rental fly gear for the DIY fly fisher on vacation.
- World class corporate teambuilding and group options for your businesses next outdoor adventure.
- We use only the best gear in the business, namely Sage premium fly rods and reels, and Scientific Anglers fly lines.
- All classes and trips are catch and release, using single barbless hooks.
For information or to reserve your place in one of our fly fishing classes, contact Matthew Heron at the Resort at Squaw Creek's Fly Fishing Center at 530-583-6300 Ext. 6631 or email@example.com.
Meet Matthew Heron
Resort at Squaw Creek's own Federation of Fly Fishers (FFF) Certified Casting Instructor, Matthew Heron, started his 26-year fishing career at the age of three and has never looked back.
During his 19 years of fly fishing, Matt has met, cast with and learned from some of the world's best casters and instructors. He also has an extensive background in conservation and trout restoration projects. As an FFF Certified Casting Instructor, Matt has taught some 3,200 people about all aspects of fly fishing.
Matt's impressive credentials include:
- National Outdoor Leadership Schools Graduate, Patagonia Fly Fishing Course
- Member, Federation of Fly Fishers, Trout Unlimited, FFF Guides
Association, Anglers Legacy
- CPR Certified; Former Wilderness First Responder: Emergency training for outdoor professionals
- Degrees in Aquaculture and Aquatic Science, Recreation and Outdoor Recreation Management and Environmental Education from the State University of New York at Cortland and the State University of New York at Morrisville
For Matt's bio and more information, please visit his Website.